WE HAVE RELEASED THE OFFICIAL FACTION HANDBOOKS, GO CHECK THEM OUT!

Welcome to British Borders

Firstly, a very warm welcome to our website. At British Borders we are not just your typical Arma 3 role play community. By bringing together players from around the globe, who share our passion for role play, our members become part of our story and are proud to call us home.

We continue to forever challenge the conventional norms that so many Arma communities have come to accept, continuously raising the bar and setting new standards. Our extensive list of features, along with our fantastic user friendly website and committed staff team, help to deliver an enjoyable, unique and lasting gaming experience.

We would invite you to join us and become part of that experience.

This message will be removed once you sign in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jack Webber

New Police Display - On Patrol

16 posts in this topic

As you may be aware there are various computers around the Police HQ.

59479d1a2e340_Arma3_x642017-06-1909-53-23-125.thumb.jpg.5d4c34c19190fe0c4d0cc7eae93ed5e2.jpg

My idea is, at the gate there is this station where there is a computer. An officer is always stationed here and at the computer there is a scroll wheel display he can open. Which you can also open at any other computers around the police HQ. At the display it allows you to select an officer who is currently online and register them as: On patrol and where, on duty or off duty and other options. From the computer display any officer at the HQ can see who is on patrol and where and who is on/off duty. Higher officers in command can see who is patrolling or stationed where and who is on fast response. It would make it easier to station people around the islands.

It would look something like this.

Police Register

5947a4516b24a_PoliceRegister0000.png.11d934905df4da4dc926cd22c8df8de6.png

As said before, any officer would be able to access this on any computer in the HQ however the CC would be able to station an officer to stay at the gates of the HQ and record who comes in, out and what they are doing. The register can see what all officers are doing.

Please leave your thoughts if this would be possible, and any improvements and features.

-Jack

@Jack Webber, A other system will be developed for this. As for on-duty or off-duty, you will have to select a blufor slot or a independent slot wich means you're either on or off there is no way to not be on the duty except for going to civ side.

11 hours ago, Waffle said:

@Jack Webber, A other system will be developed for this. As for on-duty or off-duty, you will have to select a blufor slot or a independent slot wich means you're either on or off there is no way to not be on the duty except for going to civ side.

What I meant was "Off-duty" meaning maybe returning back to HQ and re-arming and such for 15 mins.

Just now, Jack Webber said:

What I meant was "Off-duty" meaning maybe returning back to HQ and re-arming and such for 15 mins.

This would be ridiculous for managing players will forget it all the time and it would be more harmful then good. Because the controller might thinks these officers are not available while they are.

I can see where you're coming from @Jack Webber. The future idea would be that a specific role, a.k.a. Dispatcher, would be in charge of managing the officers in the field and task them accordingly based on demand in regions of the map, but for now no such system is going to be in place to set yourself off-duty.

Not sure if anyone would want to be a dispatcher if it require only staying at HQ. No one would join the police force to stay at a station. Also, the on and off-duty thing isn't needed. Nor is the fast response thing needed. This isn't needed to open the gate either. Just saying.

Appreciate the idea though.

maybe later on dispatcher could be a cool role that people could play as i know a few members in the community are fans of top-down management games like 911 responder, and this could give them that aspect but in the game and could also add more roleplay. but i think that its not needed for release and if implemented should not be crucial to the running of the police but be a more efficient and effective way.

Posted (edited)

I think the way it should work, in regards to a dispatcher role, should be a small Command Element that is always on. 

The Command Element consists of the personnel below. I believe the CC's only responsibility is to manage the relations of the Police Force with other VIP's and the general public and should have overall situational command. The 2IC in the structure below is responsible for the strategic placement of personnel inline with the Chief Constable's intent and can focus on the small details such as patrol areas or placement of support assets like air support, relieving quite a time-consuming process off the CC. Lastly, the Command Support Officer is very important as the 2IC or CC should not have to worry about security, nor driving, nor anything else that is not related to their role. As a result, having a CSO can mean better security and leadership from people such as CC & 2IC. 

Command Element:

• Chief Constable (Elected)
  • 2IC (Can be anyone really, ideally someone with the training of dispatcher)
  • Command Support Officer (Responsible for Security & Driving of both CC & 2IC)

In regards to what @Corey Spencersaid about staying at the HQ, I totally agree. We have to remember that this is still a game, so being able to move around in different environments is important to making sure the game remains enjoyable. Any dispatcher role that is stuck to one position is not only bad for the person, as it is not very enjoyable, but it does not allow for situational awareness. The dispatcher (2IC) is ultimately responsible for the exact placement of personnel. It's better to be close to a scene so you personally have a tactical awareness of an area to better place personnel. There's nothing worse than getting sh*t information from someone about a situation and trying to make a decision on that in regards to best placement of personnel. Thus, having the ability to be mobile is important. That's why I disagree with what @eye4567is saying, being static in a role like that can be quite detrimental for the above reasons.

@Maverick, @Jekylland @Jack Webber, what do you think of this?

Edited by Shaun
Grammar

17 hours ago, Shaun said:

I think the way it should work, in regards to a dispatcher role, should be a small Command Element that is always on. 

The Command Element consists of the personnel below. I believe the CC's only responsibility is to manage the relations of the Police Force with other VIP's and the general public and should have overall situational command. The 2IC in the structure below is responsible for the strategic placement of personnel inline with the Chief Constable's intent and can focus on the small details such as patrol areas or placement of support assets like air support, relieving quite a time-consuming process off the CC. Lastly, the Command Support Officer is very important as the 2IC or CC should not have to worry about security, nor driving, nor anything else that is not related to their role. As a result, having a CSO can mean better security and leadership from people such as CC & 2IC. 

Command Element:

• Chief Constable (Elected)
  • 2IC (Can be anyone really, ideally someone with the training of dispatcher)
  • Command Support Officer (Responsible for Security & Driving of both CC & 2IC)

In regards to what @Corey Spencersaid about staying at the HQ, I totally agree. We have to remember that this is still a game, so being able to move around in different environments is important to making sure the game remains enjoyable. Any dispatcher role that is stuck to one position is not only bad for the person, as it is not very enjoyable, but it does not allow for situational awareness. The dispatcher (2IC) is ultimately responsible for the exact placement of personnel. It's better to be close to a scene so you personally have a tactical awareness of an area to better place personnel. There's nothing worse than getting sh*t information from someone about a situation and trying to make a decision on that in regards to best placement of personnel. Thus, having the ability to be mobile is important. That's why I disagree with what @eye4567is saying, being static in a role like that can be quite detrimental for the above reasons.

@Maverick, @Jekylland @Jack Webber, what do you think of this?

I agree with your points, however i don't thing the Command Support Officer is needed as instead of the Police doing their role as protecting civilians and upholding the law there will always be 1 officer that isn't doing that as they are just protecting a police high command. @Shaun

This was already on arma 2 with the sergeant menu. It was global though, so not tied to a physical computer at the HQ. It's going to be important to be able to do a lot of logistical or command stuff "in the cloud" if we're moving to a big map as Tnaoa.