WE MUST REACH OUR DONATION GOAL THIS MONTH OR THE SERVER WILL GO OFFLINE. LARGE OR SMALL, IT ALL HELPS!

Welcome to British Borders

Firstly, a very warm welcome to our website. At British Borders we are not just your typical Arma 3 role play community. By bringing together players from around the globe, who share our passion for role play, our members become part of our story and are proud to call us home.

We continue to forever challenge the conventional norms that so many Arma communities have come to accept, continuously raising the bar and setting new standards. Our extensive list of features, along with our fantastic user friendly website and committed staff team, help to deliver an enjoyable, unique and lasting gaming experience.

We would invite you to join us and become part of that experience.

This message will be removed once you sign in.

Maverick

ARMA 3 Alpha Build Progress

11 posts in this topic

BB-Arma-3-Updates.png

This thread is aimed at informing and updating the community on progress with regards to our ARMA 3 mission file. The developers will provide posts, indications, screenshots and other information giving you greater insight into what can be expected.

Current Team:

Maverick - Map Editor

Aron - Senior Mission Developer / Database Manager

Waffle - Mission Development

Phil - Mission Development

Marshall - Map Editor / Texture Designer

Cado - Map Editor / Graphics Designer

Please note: If you are interested in joining the Development Team you must contact@Maverickvia the website or our Teamspeak 3 server.

Thanks!

June - Development update:

We've been very busy with creating the framework on which we build the entire mission file for ARMA 3. That framework has been completed and we've written an entire statistics-system from scratch that will act as the foundation for all our future features. It has been filled with functions that will streamline the development and make future content easier to create and implement. From this point forward we'll be implementing all the basic features that any *-Life server will have, but more immersive, higher fidelity and much more sensible for you to use. 

One can expect features, systems and very advanced windows that no other *-Life server has ever provided and we're sure you're going to like it. 

Measures have also been put in place to keep the experience as abuse-proof as we possible can from a development point of view. Think about not being able to meddle with statistics or ruin it for other players. 

That is all we can provide for now. Much has been done by the development team, but most of it won't be visible or noticeable by the players and has been done on the back-end side of the server. All the upcoming stuff will be visible for the majority of players and we're all super exciting and will be shared/sneak peaked right in this thread.   

So there hasn't been a post on here for a while - i thought i would some screenshots with you.

Having spoken with@Bullwe thought a few screenshots would be great to show.

134cecba7cf0ca4a04a43b7acad557c3.png

4174050f63576895dda7e8e71d4842d5.png

c210a8658276488d3f515939b2e3ae25.png

6eddfc7dedc78e6432eccd43ee196053.png

So Maverick is finally letting me loose on this thread!

So, I've been quiet for a long time about plans for the new Arma 3 Life mission we are developing. Finally, the veil can be pushed back! The reason for development taking as long as it's taking is because we not just developing a mission, we are developing a entirely modular system. Myself and @Aronhave been hard at work designing scripts and functions that are extremely well optimized and bug free. Not only is this going to benefit your own game performance but the way we have structured the functions means that the mission is less susceptible to hacking and glitching.

We have also spent a huge amount of time developing an incredible complicated database that should allow us to store all sorts of data about players, bank accounts, vehicles, keys, etc. This has been a tough challenge because of the limitations of the RV4 engine, however, for initial release we will have a semi-working version of stats storage. We will still be developing far after initial release, with the addition of new modules and new ways for you to get the best out of the system. 

I hope the pictures above wet your appetite for what is to come. You can follow this album here. Throughout the development process I will be posting a lot more images on this thread so make sure you stay up-to-date!

Onto the juicy stuff, I have today started to create the 'Drug Den' module. This is, as you can probably guess, allows players to experience the darker side of Tanoa life. This module allows you to buy, sell, deal drugs and complete 'Training Courses' to allow you to create/buy/sell more potent concoctions. There are a number of features that I have planned, but I am yet to start work on developing them - Watch this space!

K1DiiXI.png

As always, any questions please feel free to message me and I will be happy to answer as many questions as I am allowed to :)

Bull

Developer

Hi all,

sorry that it's been a while from my last post, I am very busy at the current time :) It's been a good few weeks for development, more objects have been placed on the map and more scripted functions have been created. I haven't got much in terms on content this time around as most of my efforts have been put into developing both the 'Deliveries Module' and the 'Virtual Inventory System' module.

Based on a massive amount of feedback, I quickly put together a map marker filtering system. Lots of player complain about the number of markers on the map and that it makes the mission look cluttered and unorganized (which is something I completely agree with). Now I don't mean to blow my own trumpet, but this is one of the most advanced filter systems created for an Arma mission. Filters are setup in the missions configuration file and allow a designer to set specific values to the filter, such as maximum/minimum marker transparency, should the marker text be shown when marker is transparent, etc... It is the most robust system that I have created and can be customized to cater for the designers needs

PvItwpD.gif

Also, some of you keeping track of the development progress will notice that we have gained a new Junior Developer - @Waffle who joined the team and immediately started work on the Administrator Menu (**insert link here**). Waffle is doing a great job with his current task and is still enhancing his knowledge of mission development, we are hoping that we can share some of our tips and tricks with him along the way.

@Shaunhas been concentrating on the 'Medical' module, creating new UI systems and enhancing the way damage is handled in the mission.

@Aronhas been continuing his work in the background. Developing the database tables and stored procedures

That is all for the time being, and as always please feel free to try and catch up with me on Teamspeak for any burning questions that you have :)

@Bull(Senior Developer)

Hi all,

Firstly I will apologies for the lack of screenshots in this update, I will be using my word count to keep you all up-to-date with what development have been getting up to.

This month myself and @Aronhave been investigating and stress testing the database extension 'extdb3' by Torndeco. This is a fantastic extension which allows us to complete extremely advanced queries with complete ease. So far, we have begun mapping the database and creating the first of the many tables that are going to be used. Just last night I have tested and completed a first stage statistics loading function, allowing for us to save map positions for players, meaning you can pick up exactly where you left off.

It's not all excitement however, these database functions are extremely complicated and I hope everyone realizes this is now another level of complexion that is going into an already really complicated system, please bare with us! I'm not expecting this to be fully functional for Alpha release and there are likely there are going to be some major bugs with these systems.

Moving on to greener pastures, the introduction of the database and stats tracking means that we can now begin upgrades on the British Borders website :). @Cadowill soon be looking into installing a new REST API system that will allow us to query the database and bring up player stats on the website. For Gamma release we should also have functionality for completing data-changes through the website, this would be for game moderators and administrators only.

Myself and @Maverickhave been in contact with Battlemetrics in regards to querying their global ban list so that we can use import this data into our database and catch players who might not have been banned on our server, but have on others. Obviously, how we do this depends entirely on how/if Battlemetrics are willing to give us this data and if we want to completely blanket ban players that have never come across our community before. More discussion is needed about this :)

@Wafflehas completed his initial development on the Admin Menu and this is, slowly but surely, being configured and merged in the master branch of framework. Many of you would have seen his screenshots (which look extremely positive), but if you haven't you can see them here [only staff can view].

Once again, sorry about the lack of visible content. Although as the user you will never see or be able to interact with what is happening under the covers, I hope that you will appreciated is all helps to make the mission run as quickly as possible and be as bug free as possible.

@Bull(Senior Developer)

Good evening all,

I'm just about to wrap up development for the night but I thought best to share some interesting new features that have been worked on this week.

I have been refactoring @Waffles excellent Admin Menu design to the framework standard. It was a fantastic start by @Waffleand this lead us to create what I believe will be a fantastic system. Although most of you won't use/see this interface it is (forgive the pun) mission critical and will offer staff members pretty much complete control over the mission. One of the following features I can reveal below is the spectator function. We are currently 'hooking' into the EGSpectator function developed by the Arma 3 developers. The reason for this was that developing our own spectator function would take a tremendous amount of effort and time, however, I'm not saying that we wont develop something similar in the future.

http://i.imgur.com/HCO5Avg.gifv

The above GIF shows the spectator interface in action, for those who haven't seen it before. It will be a very handy tool for keeping check on those who are up to no good.

In addition to developing the Admin Menu, I have been working on a custom scripting console. This is going to be an extremely powerful tool, which is why (for security reasons) the player using it must be logged into the Admin slot. The console allows the player to create and execute custom scripts as well as select from a massive selection of pre-made one. The script can then be executed locally (on the current machine), globally (on every machine, including the server), and server-side (on server only).

@Shaunhas now delivered his medical system to me and I will be working closely with him to review the code and deploy it into the framework. So far it's looking good, but still needs some tweaking. The system will be somewhat basic during initial alpha release however, this will be something that we will continue to develop into the future.

@Waffleis now leading efforts in User Interface design after his stellar job designing the Admin Menu. His current task is creating a petrol pump interface, which I am sure will live up to expectation!

Now, unfortunately I have some bad news. We have been working closely with the developer of the EXTDB3 extension, Torndeco, to resolve an issue that is arising when trying to execute multiple SQL 'CALL' statements using the same job. Usually this would not be a problem, however, Torndeco believes there is something causing the commands to move out of sync in the extension code. This is a severe blocker, as it means that we cannot complete any queries on the database using our current setup and configuration. I must stress that we are working incredibly hard to solve what is going to be a very complicated and technical issue.

To end on a high, development is going really well and I am happy with the current progress we have made. Thank you all for your patience and I hope that this mission will live up to all your expectations :)

@Bull- Senior Developer

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is as excited as I am about our new mission system. We have made a massive step in the right direction the past week and a bit, with the introduction of the first in-game account login system. This is one of the first login systems ever created for an Arma mission! The account creation interfaces allow players to create a character with a given name, set a password and setup an email to hear about the latest developments (we are also planning in the future to link this email into the game so that you receive updates from the mission).

Hope that you guys remember to bring your passport :) We have just started to develop the virtual item system. This system is a fantastic solutation whereby all manner of items in the game world can be simulated without the need for a mod. The system is incredibly customizable and almost everthing can be classes as a virtual item.

zdMfQc3.png

0TZmPxQ.png

Sorry its a short post this time, we are working extremely hard to complete an initial Alpha release in the near future so don't have much time at the moment to write long, detailed development posts

Edited by Bull

Good afternoon all,

The development towards Alpha 0.2 is coming along. I'm proud to say we integrated the Tablet @Bullcreated. Myself and @Philare collaborating on building a skill system,
I'm working on the skill system interface on the tablet meanwhile @Philis creating a lot of back-end code & @Aronis working on the database structure to store skill information of your character.

Developer Status:

@Shaunhas been spending time on making a player HUD which will show information on your character such as health indicator, money information, ... He's also been working on a help dialog to add information on account creation

@Philhas all efforts put in to the Skill System.

@Wafflehas been devoting his time to add GUI's to the tablet

@Aronhas been closely developing database structures and store procedures

New features in Alpha 0.2:

• Refuel system
  • Tablet

Bug fixes & Small enhancements:

• Fixed money duplication
  • Car shop spawns
  • Character health & energy
  • Small bug fixes
  • Script enhancements
  • Shop stocks
  • Username validation
  • Display to show help on how to create an account

I hope you all look forward to the release of Alpha 0.2 as much as i do.

Tablet Preview

20170202231302_1.jpg

Edited by Waffle

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon all,
The recent added features to the Alpha 0.2 patch is what has caused the delay of Alpha 0.2. I'm glad to tell you all that these improvements will be worth it. As of now an actual date of the release of Alpha 0.2 is not set but I expect it to be very soon. Anyway I want to tell you all how much British Borders has helped me to become a better developer. I am using these new coding skills to make our mission better and improve a lot of systems. I will probably never be as good as @Bullbut I hope to one day get on his level of arma coding. Enough of my bragging let's talk about some updates and what our developers are up to.

Developer Status:
@Phil, has been getting rid of some bugs and is continuously been improving his recourse system and skill system.
@Waffle, I've been working on a new system; The Property System and a part of that will be included in the Alpha 0.2 patch (More of this system below). 
@Aron, has created a new Notification System which looks beautiful and I've been using it in my new Property System

New Features:

• Refuel system
  • Tablet
  • (Basic) Property System
  • Notification System
  • Skill System

Bug Fixes & Enhancements:

• Fixed money duplication
  • Car shop spawns
  • Character health & energy
  • Small bug fixes
  • Script enhancements
  • Shop stocks
  • Username validation
  • Display to show help on how to create an account
  • Small adjustments and improvements to the resource system

Property System:
While we're in alpha the property system will stay pretty basic. What do I mean with basic. Well the system depends on dynamic buying & selling. Some more in depth information on this for example i wanted to get rid of my property, I'd have to choose either one of three options: Selling to Government, Selling on the Real Estate Market or Listing it for rent. Let's see what this is all about:

Selling to Government: This will sell your property directly for 35% of the property value and will be available on next restart on the real estate market.

Selling on the Real Estate Market: This will list your property on the market with a price you choose you will get the amount you chose once your property has been sold.

Listing for Rent: This will also list your property on the real estate market for a price per restart of your choosing this amount will automatically deposited to your account every restart if your property is rented to someone. Only the renter can stop this contract or through our Court system (not implemented yet) or if the building is seized by the police. If seized the building will be put back in to your owned property. you will be fined a amount depending of the offense of the renter.

Be careful when conducting illegal activities withing your house, depending on the crime the officer can you choose to fine you or have your case moved to the court. If your case is moved to court then a judge will choose what happens with your property. (This system is not implemented yet so this might change in the future).

The system only includes residential property at the moment. Until we have set up the Company System & Gang System this will be put on hold because special abilities will be assigned to buildings depending on the company type and gang type.

If you have any questions about this system or coming up features be sure to message me personally i'd happily answer your questions.

Skill System:
The skill system will allow players to truly progress on our server. The aim is to create a system which can positively influence almost every task a player performs on the Server. For example if a player is adept in mining and has mined for a long time he could mine faster and maybe mine more precious metals. If a player then tries to process these metals into an ingot he could also process those ores faster or maybe refine it into a higher grade of that metal. Right now the skill system as a framework is done and we are looking to integrate them into all the different systems we have created so far and all those things to yet to come. (Typed by @Phil)

Notification System:
The new Notification System from @Aronwill be used to display big events that are happening on the server or that are happening to you personally as a player. Some examples: Being placed under arrest, buying a new car or property, selling property, etc. Of course I won't leave you without some eye-candy!

20170318192938_1.thumb.jpg.33d7827c6ebad0ceef2e6769f6aabf78.jpg

Edited by Waffle