BRITISH BORDERS TANOA LIFE PRIVATE BETA IS RELEASED!

Welcome to British Borders

Firstly, a very warm welcome to our website. At British Borders we are not just your typical Arma 3 role play community. By bringing together players from around the globe, who share our passion for role play, our members become part of our story and are proud to call us home.

We continue to forever challenge the conventional norms that so many Arma communities have come to accept, continuously raising the bar and setting new standards. Our extensive list of features, along with our fantastic user friendly website and committed staff team, help to deliver an enjoyable, unique and lasting gaming experience.

We would invite you to join us and become part of that experience.

This message will be removed once you sign in.

Waffle

Development News
Tanoa Life Beta 1.0 Enters Testing

75 posts in this topic

I completely understand why some members are getting frustrated, but honestly the development team are working as quick as they possible can and we feel the pressure, I know you are all eager to get on the sever but just bear with us a little bit longer and the server will be out, we are on the final stages now for the beta release it won't be long.

well looks like i wont be able to play until coming bk from holiday now expected for the public release over a month ago but with all the delays looks like it wont be done until i come back from my holiday in 2 weeks time hope its ready by then but hope the development team meet all their targets. good luck 

Posted (edited)

reply to@Chaz

We understand that bugs are inevitable and I'm sure most of us in the community are willing to have patience regardless of "broken promises" I use that as an exaggeration. Talking about the delays we have faced but I feel the frustration is more due to the mishandling of communication. It's very hard to be understanding of delays when we don't know why the delay is occurring, when the issue will be resolved or what time frame we are looking at. "Soon" doesn't give us much to go on.

It's like asking kids what they want for their Christmas presents all year round, come December. Then saying to the kids "sorry we've hit a delay" We are working very hard to get you what you want but it will have to wait until the end of January. Then come that time you say "sorry kids, We are still working on it but it will be a while longer we don't know when exactly" 

People not being informed leads to speculation which then leads to assumptions and anger/frustration. The longer people are kept in the dark the worse the end result is gonna be if their is another problem. I believe most people, I for sure myself would be able to support the delay if we had all the facts and some sort of time frame be that 1 - 2 months away or more. Because at least then we aren't let down each week when we don't hear anything.

I think if we knew what the problem was and in what time frame it will be resolved, that would go a long way to assure the community. Even if that time frame is just an estimation. 

Thanks, 

P.S I hope this doesn't come across in poor taste, Just presenting my opinion and trying to offer a solution.

Edited by Pope

Posted (edited)

@PopeI think some people need some patience if its at the stage where a bug completely breaks the server there is no point in bringing it out when the server is ready they will release it, i personally think its better because when the problems are fixed we will be able to have a smooth time on the server other then a load of bugs what makes it un bearable to play. A time frame could be done but there are issues only certain people within the development team can deal with and i know a few people in the team have had problems with their pc's and like i said people need to be patient and understanding.

Edited by Levi

Posted (edited)

@Levi

I think you've miss read my comment I didn't say release the server to the public, in my previous statement I've just said we can have patience we just need enough information to keep us up to date and informed. There are many people like yourself who can have blind faith and endless patience, which is great. However I for myself and I believe a large number of people in the community would rather be assured with updates on what's going on. I said we understand if we can't play which seems to be what you are getting at but we just want to be in the loop. 

24 minutes ago, Levi said:

A time frame could be done but there are issues only certain people within the development team can deal with

^ fair enough but I don't understand how that effects coming up with a time frame? surely there are meetings between the admins and development staff to discuss the progress and what's going on. If there isn't then that is the biggest communication error right there. If there isn't communication between them then of course they aren't going to be able to rely any information to us. Is that what you meant?

Like I said having faith and patience yourself is great and I know you most likely mean it good hearted but asking other people to be as understanding and patient is just more frustrating especially when I believe the frustration is justified and not ill intended but meant in a critical way to improve. If the reason for delays are that people are having problems with their computers then I think that is information we should be privy to. Don't you agree?

My comment was more about miscommunication, or were you addressing my comment from 3 days ago?

Edited by Pope

1 hour ago, Levi said:

@PopeI think some people need some patience if its at the stage where a bug completely breaks the server there is no point in bringing it out when the server is ready they will release it, i personally think its better because when the problems are fixed we will be able to have a smooth time on the server other then a load of bugs what makes it un bearable to play. A time frame could be done but there are issues only certain people within the development team can deal with and i know a few people in the team have had problems with their pc's and like i said people need to be patient and understanding.

I am totally on board with the idea that sometimes devving is difficult and unexpected bugs come up, however I don't think that this should just be accepted and no criticism can be made. Let's look at this from an outside perspective from a random ArmA RP player who has stumbled across the server, and look at the facts which they will see.

- A late launching server on a map which has never done well English speaking servers

- The server has had multiple delays even though it has had considerable development time

- Announcements have not come to fruition, possibly considered misleading by some

Now I want to make sure I say that these are not my own thoughts, but we have to accept that this is the image of BB to an outsider, and however many times people say 'Just have patience!' will not change this. I will play on the server whether it launches tomorrow or in 3 months, but non-community members/prospective members are who we need to impress, not each other. I have faith in this dev team, and in the community, which is why I put my money where my mouth is; but let's not kid ourselves, the situation makes us look unprofessional and has/will damage our reputation.

I wish all the best to Management and the Dev Team in getting the server up when it's ready. You've done a great job so far, I'm just adding my two cents in the hope of bettering the community in the long run.

Posted (edited)

In my opinion, no time frame needs to be set but instead, users need a way of seeing progress and what needs to be done, Either by regular news posts or by a site like trello where users can see what needs doing and what is done. If BB is not already using trello I believe we should it makes it very clear and easy to see what is being looked at, done and completed with mini checkpoints along the way, it also allows easy communication between developer on who is doing what. i use it for all my projects both in school and out.

The big point here is that users need more communication, There are some great examples of current companies who have not realy communicated and it has hurt them badly. If users get some more communication about whats going on and why and whats planned then i think alot of the users problems will vanish.

Edited by eye4567

Just a quick update for those wondering about the server, as of now the map is on the final stages of being compiled, we are just waiting on a few more important scripts that will need to be added in before it can be fully compiled, at which stage the server should be released for testing. I am not able to say when this will be completed by but i have been told that we are now very close.

I will do my best in trying to keep people updated even if they just be little updates here and there over the time until the sever released.

Posted (edited)

@Chaz

Thanks for the update and those of the future. Is that testing release still going to be the two days for donators and patreons?

Edited by Pope

@PopeThe testing will be for donators, patrons and staff only yes as it will still be part of the closed Alpha, following this will the be the beta release obviously which will be public.