Welcome to British Borders

Firstly, a very warm welcome to our website. At British Borders we are not just your typical Arma 3 role play community. By bringing together players from around the globe, who share our passion for role play, our members become part of our story and are proud to call us home.

We continue to forever challenge the conventional norms that so many Arma communities have come to accept, continuously raising the bar and setting new standards. Our extensive list of features, along with our fantastic user friendly website and committed staff team, help to deliver an enjoyable, unique and lasting gaming experience.

We would invite you to join us and become part of that experience.

This message will be removed once you sign in.

15 posts in this topic

BB-announcement.png.5f879819c13ad02b980db15cc321ea50.png

Annual Community Poppy Appeal 2017

Every year we come together as a community and help raise funds for the poppy appeal, remembering those who have fallen and given the ultimate sacrifice or are currently serving and fighting for our great country. This has always proven to be very successful activity amongst members in the community in the past which is why we shall continue this tradition year upon year.

As the 11th November approaches we have just over one week to raise some funds and help make a small difference.

Like always we will award those who donate, and this time round we not only have a unique 'Charity Donator' tag which can be obtained on Teamspeak, but a new website award associated to this cause to display on your profile.

A minimum donation of £5.00 is required to receive these awards.

New Award: 'Lest We Forget'

48_lest-we-forget.png

This a limited time only award and will not be available after 11th November 2017 for another year.

Once you have donated please contact the web team and they will issue you with your award and update our funds raised below in this thread.

We are extremely grateful to all members who donate regardless of the amount. DONATE NOW!

OR alternatively you can donate directly on the Royal British Legion's website. Once you have completed a donation this way you will need to contact @Maverickand verify you have donated.

For more information about the poppy appeal you can visit the Royal British Legion's website.

Thanks,
Maverick

Why not direct people towards the Royal British Leigion's website for donating, and those who donate and want the tag can provide proof in a dedicated thread?

Basically, saying you want to collect funds, and then provide a link to your own Paypal feels seriously wrong to me, it feels decidedly nontransparent, and doesn't sit right whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, J45ON96 said:

Why not direct people towards the Royal British Leigion's website for donating, and those who donate and want the tag can provide proof in a dedicated thread?

Basically, saying you want to collect funds, and then provide a link to your own Paypal feels seriously wrong to me, it feels decidedly nontransparent, and doesn't sit right whatsoever.

Because it shows as a community, we directly contributed to raising funds for the charity. For security purposes, a public thread with the proof of donation is not feasible.

Many other organisations do this, it is PERFECTLY legal, and sensible. We have done this every year since 2013 and they have always been grateful for the communities contribution.

Edited by [BB] Jordan W.K. White

Okay. I agree with Jason's unsettlement regarding this.

I'm not making accusations whatsoever. But the simple fact is this isn't any other "organisation" as mentioned. Yes this may be something which the community has done for many years but - that does little to settle concerns.

I personally just find the check and balances lacking, and that adding a middle-man to the process of giving money to a charity an unecessary hurdle.

It may be "PERFECTLY legal". No where did I see an accusation that it wasn't, and frankly, the instantaneous jump to this defence does more to unerve me than it does to comfort.

Lets have some respect for this thread please, same as you would of liked probably. You should respect and if you dont donate thats fine. Their raising money for a charity, even if their a middleman its still something great and of which we need more communities. Just 1 little charity event can change everything. Have some respect before posting this nonsense about sketchy and other things. Thank you!

Edited by 13TH JOKER

You guys are entitled to hold the view you have and as relatively new players it is somewhat understandable.

@[BB] Jordan W.K. Whiteis right to highlight that we have done this for years, raising money not only for the poppy appeal but other charities when we have hosted community events such as the Tour de Takistan as on our previous Arma 2 server.

Needless to say i will update the thread for those who wish to donate directly no problem. However creating a thread for someone to post secure information is not wise as suggested by @J45ON96 and those who have donated directly will need to contact the web team and provide proof on Teamspeak or in a private message.

The ease of donating via BB is we can confirm your donation without having to go through the process of sharing information thus protecting the privacy of the Donator.

Hopefully this addresses a few concerns raised.

One final comment i would make is that there are many members over the years who have been involved and see the success of our charity fundraisers and can therefore verify that validity of the information are being told.

Just to point out, I have no issue with donating. I've been wearing a poppy that I donated for all week. I work in a place that does fundraising. I have nothing but respect for the Poppy Appeal. I was questioning the methods that are being put down for group fundraising, respect has absolutely nothing to do with it.

@J45ON96 @LunatcLuke

OR alternatively you can donate directly on the website. Once you have completed a donation this way you will need to contact @Maverickand verify you have donated.

This has now been added to our post.

@13TH JOKER- Under no circumstance did I ever say or insinuate that raising money for charity, especially the RBL, was a bad thing. I am merely pointing out that this post as it stood has some very serious issues regarding transparency and checks/balances. Your implication that I am being disrespectful, as someone who has had servicemen in their family, is considerably personal and I don't care for it.

@Maverick- I appreciate the edit. This would have been my ideal situation. Having both options open and clearly advertised to users is a much better system. Ultimately what someone does with their money is their decision, although in it's past-state it could have been misconstrued as a donation drive linked directly with the Legion.

Please let me reiterate that I absolutely have zero issues with people giving money to worthwhile causes. Though my skepticism with regards to this was fueled primarily because this is a worthwhile cause, and as such when I saw something that I thought could be a point of contention, I called it out. Although it seems, looking at the reputation both myself and Jason have received in this thread, that said skepticism isn't welcomed.

Transparency and honesty is key when it comes to something as important and as close to home as this.

@LunatcLukeThe comments you make a fair and would happily discuss this further with you on Teamspeak. I want to avoid this thread detracting from its initial message although what you say is important and where changes can be made they will.

And i could agree more with the worthiness of the cause.