Welcome to British Borders

Firstly, a very warm welcome to our website. At British Borders we are not just your typical Arma 3 role play community. By bringing together players from around the globe, who share our passion for role play, our members become part of our story and are proud to call us home.


We continue to forever challenge the conventional norms that so many Arma communities have come to accept, continuously raising the bar and setting new standards. Our extensive list of features, along with our fantastic user friendly website and committed staff team, help to deliver an enjoyable, unique and lasting gaming experience.


We would invite you to join us and become part of that experience.

This message will be removed once you sign in.

Tanoa Life Factions Vehicle Quota   16 members have voted

  1. 1. Should this system be implemented?

    • YES
      9
    • NO
      7

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
14 posts in this topic

So an idea: 

What do we all think of the idea of a vehicle quota for factions? What do I mean?

- Each Faction is only allowed to have a certain amount of vehicle availability for a given timeframe E.G Police can only Purchase a maximum of 2 HellCat Helicopters a week. 

 

- This adds a large sense of realism to the server, and will make vehicles have real value which encourages players so drive/fly safely, professionally etc. 

 

- This can tie into the greater Tanoa Life in a number of ways.. Firstly the budget which the government sets can determine how many vehicles/aircraft can be purchased. Secondly, it can connect all the factions, allowing for resource sharing etc. 

 

How will this be implemented? The Commander/Highest ranking member will view a spreadsheet to determine if another vehicle can be purchased. Also, there could be a script implemented (Devs?) 

 

Please tell me what you think, and I'll try my best to answer any questions. 

1

Share this post


Link to post

I like the idea, I believe it would be better if the amount of vehicle's provided were limited per restart rather than each week. So 2 Hellcats per Restart, also maybe 1 Hummingbird per jurisdiction... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Judgegreg said:

So an idea: 

What do we all think of the idea of a vehicle quota for factions? What do I mean?

- Each Faction is only allowed to have a certain amount of vehicle availability for a given timeframe E.G Police can only Purchase a maximum of 2 HellCat Helicopters a week. 

 

- This adds a large sense of realism to the server, and will make vehicles have real value which encourages players so drive/fly safely, professionally etc. 

 

- This can tie into the greater Tanoa Life in a number of ways.. Firstly the budget which the government sets can determine how many vehicles/aircraft can be purchased. Secondly, it can connect all the factions, allowing for resource sharing etc. 

 

How will this be implemented? The Commander/Highest ranking member will view a spreadsheet to determine if another vehicle can be purchased. Also, there could be a script implemented (Devs?) 

 

Please tell me what you think, and I'll try my best to answer any questions. 

I like the idea but this will be implemented once the Government system is introduced. We will get a set budget and won't be able to overspend. The government will be able to budget us.

I know at the start it's pretty strong that we "theoretically" could take out 10 choppers. I know for a fact that for The Border Force we will not be doing that.

We will be micromanaging everything we buy in preparation for the government system. I can assure you of that.

I hope the other factions will take after The Border Force in restricting vehicles and weaponry to only have them when necessary and not as a vanity item.

 

~Ant

3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ant said:

I like the idea but this will be implemented once the Government system is introduced. We will get a set budget and won't be able to overspend. The government will be able to budget us.

I know at the start it's pretty strong that we "theoretically" could take out 10 choppers. I know for a fact that for The Border Force we will not be doing that.

We will be micromanaging everything we buy in preparation for the government system. I can assure you of that.

I hope the other factions will take after The Border Force in restricting vehicles and weaponry to only have them when necessary and not as a vanity item.

 

~Ant

That sounds about fair. The realism in resource management and personnel management would really add to role-play and immersion.

 

5 hours ago, Judgegreg said:

So an idea: 

What do we all think of the idea of a vehicle quota for factions? What do I mean?

- Each Faction is only allowed to have a certain amount of vehicle availability for a given timeframe E.G Police can only Purchase a maximum of 2 HellCat Helicopters a week. 

 

- This adds a large sense of realism to the server, and will make vehicles have real value which encourages players so drive/fly safely, professionally etc. 

 

- This can tie into the greater Tanoa Life in a number of ways.. Firstly the budget which the government sets can determine how many vehicles/aircraft can be purchased. Secondly, it can connect all the factions, allowing for resource sharing etc. 

 

How will this be implemented? The Commander/Highest ranking member will view a spreadsheet to determine if another vehicle can be purchased. Also, there could be a script implemented (Devs?) 

 

Please tell me what you think, and I'll try my best to answer any questions. 

 

+1

0

Share this post


Link to post

I do believe the development team have spoken about something like this. Depending on the funding which would be set by the elected government, each faction will be able to spend more or less on equipment.

0

Share this post


Link to post

The funding by the government does sound really good. But then if you have a government thats doesn't allow a considerable budget, this will then impact the players enjoyment and in-turn lower the efficiency and effectiveness of the faction(s) 

0

Share this post


Link to post

I like this idea quite a lot and think it does make sense. However, practically this needs to be balanced in accordance with the civilians. My question is, what is stopping a large terrorist group from destroying or deploying more vehicles than the law enforcing factions has available?

1

Share this post


Link to post

I agree with Moyes, later on there may be large gangs or dangerous criminals which may destroy these vehicles possibly just to run Law Enforcement dry, which is a valid tactic but may face us with challenges when responding to high value situations and situations where we will need these vehicles.

1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Moyes said:

I like this idea quite a lot and think it does make sense. However, practically this needs to be balanced in accordance with the civilians. My question is, what is stopping a large terrorist group from destroying or deploying more vehicles than the law enforcing factions has available?

Absolutely THIS is the contention point for your idea Greg. Given the huge imbalance of the number of individual gangs there can be to an individual police/border force it has the potential to end very badly for the faction sides. If gangs/terrorists were to bring down both of your hellcats for the week you've lost a key asset for a total of 7 days meaning one side gains a huge advantage.

The currently proposed system with government funding is much more realistic and flexible in terms of its application, but we have to wait for that. Secondarily I am not a big fan of any system that has to be directly monitored by a source outside of the server when it comes to gear/vehicles. A spreadsheet that has to be kept by high ranking faction members is a weak security system and has many questions surrounding it such as; 

Do you have enough high ranking members to cover all time zones and monitor server faction activity?

Can everyone in the faction view this stock inventory?

Are you entirely basing this system on the trust that people will not bend/break the rules?

A server side inventory system that replenishes would be much more stable and secure to use, however given the government system would be on its way I see no real reason for this to be implemented.

Its a good basis idea and actually develops into the more complex, flexible and RP managed government funding system that we've already been given an idea of, but standalone in this form I think it would be a hindrance to players rather than a experience enhancement. 

3

Share this post


Link to post

It is going to be tricky to monitor who buys what and I think that a spreadsheet will be a poor idea.

I believe it is up to the faction leadership to monitor this whilst they are online. Obviously they won't be online all the time but I assume there will be others who are supporting a factions growth.

I think you will recognise the people who are abusing the stock system and I am sure they will be punished. I know that I am in the process of putting out a forum post on The Border Force headquarters about this and should be available tomorrow.

It is an interesting topic and requires much discussion to find a viable solution.

 

 

~Ant

0

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

Our Affiliates