Welcome to British Borders

Firstly, a very warm welcome to our website. At British Borders we are not just your typical Arma 3 role play community. By bringing together players from around the globe, who share our passion for role play, our members become part of our story and are proud to call us home.

We continue to forever challenge the conventional norms that so many Arma communities have come to accept, continuously raising the bar and setting new standards. Our extensive list of features, along with our fantastic user friendly website and committed staff team, help to deliver an enjoyable, unique and lasting gaming experience.

We would invite you to join us and become part of that experience.

This message will be removed once you sign in.

Tanoa Life Factions Vehicle Quota   16 members have voted

1. 1. Should this system be implemented?

• YES
    • NO

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
14 posts in this topic

I really like the idea's floating around here! I can shed some light on how we had it planned, though keep in mind that what I'm about to say is not final and given enough feedback and good arguments like in this thread can be shifted towards a more suitable system. 

The government will be in charge of all spendings of the state and, given the fact that factions are in essence public services, will be responsible for the budget of the factions. There will be a range of vehicles and equipment for the faction that will not be limited by budget and these vehicles will mainly be the cheaper resources. The rest of the vehicles and equipment are being limited by the budget that the governor has placed on that faction.

Discussions are currently about whether or not the governor himself is also in charge where to spend that budget on in regards to vehicles and equipment. Will he solely state this is the budget and will a specific person in the faction then decide what to spend it on in regards to restocking of resources OR will the governor himself do that?

In regards to finding out the abusers in the system. We will keep a log of all the relevant interactions within the server (read: purchases, transactions etc.) in order to further balance the mission. This can be extended in the future for the faction leaders to have insight in their servants purchases on this budget. One should be mindful about the fact that as a police officer what you get out of the armory is free for you, though it did cost the faction a lot of money to have it available for you in that instant. You losing that equipment due to some unforeseen circumstance will cost your faction money it could have spend on other resources.

In regards to the scenario where gangs have enough resources to cripple the police force, there is a counter argument to that. Think about the following scenario. A lot of gangs constantly destroy equipment of the police force which undoubtably cost a lot of budget to restock. Because the governor has to keep the public services running at minimum at least he has to spend a lot of his resources to the police force budget which in turn will run state funding dry. This will give him little to no options to raise taxes and other means to replenish his fundings which also in turn will hurt those gangs as well. So for those gangs it is not worthwhile to commit to destroying those equipment because in the long run they will bite the dust. 

I'm really keen on what you think about this scenario and proposed system. Feel free to comment on this with counterarguments or hatemails (please don't...) because this system will be vital to the success of the mission!

6 hours ago, Aron said:

This can be extended in the future for the faction leaders to have insight in their servants purchases on this budget.

*places hands together* Goooood.

Overall there are loads of ideas and it's really good to see what could happen. Personally, I would love it if the governor set the budget and the faction then played on that budget.

~Ant

10 hours ago, Aron said:

I really like the idea's floating around here! I can shed some light on how we had it planned, though keep in mind that what I'm about to say is not final and given enough feedback and good arguments like in this thread can be shifted towards a more suitable system. 

The government will be in charge of all spendings of the state and, given the fact that factions are in essence public services, will be responsible for the budget of the factions. There will be a range of vehicles and equipment for the faction that will not be limited by budget and these vehicles will mainly be the cheaper resources. The rest of the vehicles and equipment are being limited by the budget that the governor has placed on that faction.

Discussions are currently about whether or not the governor himself is also in charge where to spend that budget on in regards to vehicles and equipment. Will he solely state this is the budget and will a specific person in the faction then decide what to spend it on in regards to restocking of resources OR will the governor himself do that?

In regards to finding out the abusers in the system. We will keep a log of all the relevant interactions within the server (read: purchases, transactions etc.) in order to further balance the mission. This can be extended in the future for the faction leaders to have insight in their servants purchases on this budget. One should be mindful about the fact that as a police officer what you get out of the armory is free for you, though it did cost the faction a lot of money to have it available for you in that instant. You losing that equipment due to some unforeseen circumstance will cost your faction money it could have spend on other resources.

In regards to the scenario where gangs have enough resources to cripple the police force, there is a counter argument to that. Think about the following scenario. A lot of gangs constantly destroy equipment of the police force which undoubtably cost a lot of budget to restock. Because the governor has to keep the public services running at minimum at least he has to spend a lot of his resources to the police force budget which in turn will run state funding dry. This will give him little to no options to raise taxes and other means to replenish his fundings which also in turn will hurt those gangs as well. So for those gangs it is not worthwhile to commit to destroying those equipment because in the long run they will bite the dust. 

I'm really keen on what you think about this scenario and proposed system. Feel free to comment on this with counterarguments or hatemails (please don't...) because this system will be vital to the success of the mission!

I notice a lot of the arguments in this statement are based off the points I raised - I know they're applicable to any further questioning but I would like to re-iterate that this is the system that I am fully supportive of in terms of how this should be ran. Its RP orientated, a great simulation for how this can work compared to real life, fully server controlled so cannot be abused by external sources and better suits the balancing of gangs to police and border force much more so than the very basic suggestion Greg has outlined originally.

On a side note about this - The Governor/government should state a budget, however it should be to the respective forces to put that budget to use, like how it would be in real life. You can even build RP around this excellently with the government requesting expenditure reports from the factions - if a faction has been seen to be needlessly spending money then the governor has the right to cut their future budgeting. 

In a game respect as well - I think its a bit weird for a none faction player to be dictating what a group of people playing as their faction can and cant use in a sense...it has the potential to really kill the mood for some people so I don't really believe that a civilian governor/government should have direct control over what a faction can and cant buy.

Edited by Stevenn

Thanks for all the feedback. it seems that it is a popular idea, and judging by the poll, the majority of people would like to see it implemented - with some additions and changes as recommendations. I'll work on a few ideas and get back to ya'll.